This Chocolate Cherry Pear Crisp is a simple yet satisfying dessert that is sure to please! Juicy pears are combined with chocolate chips and dried cherries, then baked in the oven with a sweet and buttery oat topping. This is a fall and winter treat that you don’t want to miss – it will warm you to your toes and make your whole kitchen smell amazing!
When it comes to easy, comforting homemade desserts, fruit crisps are right at the top of my list. But it seems like when I think of a warm, homey fruit crisp, my mind goes directly to an apple crisp. And though an apple crisp is totally delicious, I think that changing it up with other seasonal fruit is pretty great, too. And in this case, I’ve used pears. (But not only pears – I’ve sneaked in some chocolate and cherries to make it just a little extra-special!) This is a perfect treat for fall and winter when ripe, juicy pears are in-season and readily available at most supermarkets.
And now let’s talk ingredients:
Pears – Some pears hold up better to cooking than others. Green or red Anjou, Bosc, or Seckel are all good choices. And feel free to mix it up and use more than one variety.
Dried cherries – use lightly sweetened or unsweetened cherries, depending on your preference.
Chocolate chips – I prefer semisweet chocolate chips in this recipe, but you can substitute milk chocolate chips if that’s your preference. Just know that it will make the crisp a little sweeter overall.
Oats – Either quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats will work. Stay away from instant oats or steel cut oats for this recipe.
- I like to use ripe pears for this. Underripe pears won’t release enough juice as it bakes to make a luscious sauce, and you may also end up with undesirable hard pieces in the final product.
- If you enjoy nuts, add a few tablespoons of finely diced walnuts or pecans to the topping mixture before baking.
- When baking, I place my baking dish on a baking sheet in the oven, just in case the filling bubbles over.
- After baking, I store my crisp in the fridge for 3-4 days (if it lasts that long!). I can then scoop out a serving and reheat in the microwave when needed.
- Of course, the Chocolate Cherry Pear Crisp is delicious on its own, but I won’t ever turn down a scoop of vanilla ice cream to go with it!
So if you try this recipe, I hope you love it! Please let me know in the comments below.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links, which means I will earn a commission at no additional cost to you if you click through and make a purchase.*
For more great recipes, visit my friends at: