This Strawberry Almond Buckle recipe features ripe, sweet strawberries baked into a delicious, homespun cake. With a tender crumb and a hint of almond flavor, it’s a perfect dessert to make good use of strawberries when they are in season and at their sweetest and best.
Have you heard of a buckle? A buckle is an old-fashioned fruit-filled dessert in the same general family as cobblers, crisps, crumbles, slumps, and grunts. It’s a single-layer cake with added fruit (in this case strawberries), in which the batter “buckles” around the fruit as it bakes giving it a very rustic yet charming appearance.
And while you will most commonly see recipes for a buckle made with blueberries, I decided to use our first local strawberries of the season to make this a strawberry buckle recipe. Also, I added just a little bit of almond flour to the batter to make the cake extra tender and moist, and to lend the cake just a subtle almond flavor. And while many buckle recipes include a streusel topping, I chose to leave it off to really let the flavor of the strawberries shine through.
And to give credit where credit is due, I want you to know that my recipe is based on a recipe from the book Hope’s Table (affiliate link). It’s a gorgeous book filled with homestyle recipes, written by a lovely Mennonite woman. If you love homemade recipes, I highly recommend checking it out.
- If you don’t want to use almond flour, you can substitute an equal amount of all-purpose flour.
- I use vanilla extract in the recipe because I find the flavor of almond extract to be a bit too strong for my taste. But if you love almond flavor, you can substitute almond extract for vanilla, or add a few drops of almond extract along with the vanilla.
- I used salted butter to make the cake, but if you are using unsalted butter, you will need to increase the amount of salt in the recipe from 1/2 teaspoon to 3/4 teaspoon.
- This strawberry buckle recipe is extra delicious with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
If you try this recipe, I hope you love it! Please let me know in the comments below.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links, which means I will earn a commission at no additional cost to you if you click through and make a purchase.*
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons cane sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt (use 3/4 teaspoon of salt if you're using unsalted butter)
- 1 ½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan, or line with parchment paper.
- Use an electric hand mixer or stand mixer to cream together the butter and 1 ½ cups of sugar. Continue to mix, adding eggs one at a time, followed by baking powder, vanilla, salt, all-purpose flour, and almond flour.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and top with sliced strawberries. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.