These baked Ham and Swiss Pinwheels are pure home-baked goodness. Savory ham and melty Swiss cheese with the flavors of mustard and brown sugar, all baked into a tender, golden-brown spiral-shaped roll. Total from-scratch comfort food, that your family will surely appreciate. (And if you’re in the mood for some home baking, try my recipe for Quick and Easy Hamburger Buns, too!)
Can I make Ham and Swiss Pinwheels with Pizza Dough?
Yes! In fact, for this recipe, I use my super-easy Everyday Pizza Dough recipe. And it makes these ham and cheese pinwheels turn out delicious every time. Of course, feel free to take a shortcut and use premade pizza dough if you want to save some time.
How do I serve Ham and Cheese Pinwheels?
They are delicious piping hot out of the oven but will keep in the fridge for a few days. You can serve them for breakfast or brunch, but I think they are amazing anytime. Leftovers (if there are any) are perfect for grabbing for a quick breakfast or snack. For a light lunch or dinner, serve these pinwheel rolls with a Blackberry and Baby Greens Salad.
So let’s talk ingredients:
Flour – All-purpose flour is what I recommend for making this dough.
Yeast– I use active dry yeast. If you want to use instant yeast, you’ll need to use a bit less, so reduce the amount to 1 ¾ teaspoon.
Ham– I like to use leftover ham that I usually have stored in my freezer. You can use any kind of ham that you prefer. You can even dice up some of your favorite deli ham.
Swiss cheese – While you can buy pre-shredded cheese, I prefer to shred my own cheese from a block because I think the flavor and texture are better. And you can change up the cheese in the recipe with any kind of cheese that melts well. Try Cheddar, Gruyere, or Mozzarella cheese.
Mustard – Use your favorite mustard. Yellow mustard, whole grain mustard, or Dijon mustard are all delicious in this recipe. For an extra kick of flavor, try spicy mustard, beer mustard, or horseradish mustard.
- If you want a shortcut, go ahead and use premade pizza dough for making the pinwheels. Many supermarkets carry fresh pizza dough in the bakery section of the store.
- For best results, bake the pinwheels in a baking dish that is a few inches deep.
- After brushing the rolls with butter (before popping them in the oven), you can add optional toppings like sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or dried minced onion.
- Customize the flavor of the dough by mixing herbs or spices into the flour before making the dough. Caraway seeds, dried dill weed, or rosemary are delicious additions.
- For extra buttery flavor, brush the pinwheels again with butter after removing them from the oven.
If you try this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment. You can also tag a photo #myhomemaderoots on Instagram!
I hope you enjoy!
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links, which means I will earn a commission at no additional cost to you if you click through and make a purchase.*
For more great recipes, visit my friends at: