Maybe it’s my tendency towards frugality, or maybe it’s because I am a bit of a minimalist, but I just don’t buy a lot of special ingredients. Instead of buying an item that’s good for only one purpose, my strategy is to always keep the pantry stocked with staple ingredients that can be used in lots of different ways.
And while I keep stocked-up on canned tomato products (like diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato paste, etc), pre-made pizza sauce is one of the specialty items that I generally don’t buy at the store. There’s no need to because with just tomato paste, tomato sauce, and a few pantry items I can have an amazing pizza sauce (in under 10 minutes!) A simple, homemade pizza sauce with made with wholesome ingredients.
Around here, we like a flavorful pizza sauce with some zing, so this recipe is for a zesty sauce. If you don’t like as much flavor, just reduce or adjust the seasonings to your liking. But don’t be tempted to skip the tomato paste. Pizza sauce is thicker than a typical pasta sauce, and without the tomato paste, you risk having a runny sauce and a soggy pizza. And although I like to heat my sauce in a saucepan for a few minutes, if you’re in a rush, just skip that part and just mix it up in a bowl, no heat required.
Try this sauce with my Everyday Pizza Dough recipe for a truly homemade pizza experience!
I hope you enjoy!
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I will earn a commission at no additional cost to you if you click through and make a purchase.*
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cane sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir ingredients together until smooth and well-combined. (Sauce does not need to boil - warm it just enough to make it easier to thoroughly mix ingredients.)
- Use sauce immediately on pizza or store in refrigerator. If storing for more than a day or two, store sauce in freezer until ready to use.
For more great recipes, visit my friends at: