This Easy Homemade Apple Butter is sweet and delicious and packed with fall flavor.
- 1 46-ounce jar unsweetened applesauce (or 1 1/2 quarts homemade)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the applesauce has turned a caramel color.
- Carefully ladle into a blender (or use an immersion blender), and blend until smooth. Be very careful in this step because the apple butter will be extremely hot! Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your blender for blending hot liquids.
- Return the blended apple butter to the slow cooker. Place lid on slow cooker leaving it slightly ajar to allow enough space for steam to escape. Cook on high for another 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, and has become dark brown in color.
- If canning, ladle hot apple butter into hot, sanitized jars, and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes (adjusting for your altitude.) If not canning, allow Apple Butter to cool for a few hours, then ladle into clean jars and refrigerate.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Inactive Time: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 12 hours