This Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing is filled with fresh, tender spinach greens and topped with an flavorful hot bacon dressing. It’s perfect for a light lunch or a side dish at dinner.
- 8 cups of fresh spinach (you can also use other greens like baby kale, Swiss chard, arugula, or dandelion)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered or sliced (I like to top the salad with hard-boiled egg wedges, but it’s optional)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- Place greens in a large salad bowl and set aside while you make the dressing.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg and sugar together, then add the vinegar, water, and salt. Whisk until well-blended. Set aside while you cook the bacon.
- Cook the bacon pieces in a skillet until it reaches your desired level of crispness. Remove the skillet from heat and use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked bacon pieces to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Spoon off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon fat from the skillet. Return the skillet to medium-low heat and stir the tablespoon of flour into the bacon fat. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the vinegar mixture to the pan. Whisk constantly, allowing the mixture to thicken and come to a slight bubble (this should only take 1-2 minutes). If the dressing seems too thick at this point, add a few tablespoons of water.
- Remove the dressing from the heat and stir in half of the reserved cooked bacon. Serve dressing hot over greens, or allow to cool and serve warm.
- Top salad with remaining cooked bacon.
- Add hard-boiled eggs and sliced onions to salad, if desired.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Inactive Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours