These PA Dutch Creamed Cucumbers are an old-time favorite. Crisp sliced cucumbers, sliced onions, and a creamy dressing make for a light and refreshing side dish.
- 1 large English-style cucumber, sliced (or 2–3 regular slicer cucumbers, peeled and sliced)
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus extra for seasoning the finished dish
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2–3 tablespoons sugar (or your favorite sugar substitute), use more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill weed (or 1 teaspoon dried dill weed) (optional ingredient)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Generously sprinkle the cucumber slices with salt and allow them to sit for 15-20 minutes. Then rinse and drain the cucumbers, and pat them dry with a lint-free towel.
- Combine cucumbers and sliced onions in a bowl.
- Whisk together the sour cream, vinegar, sugar, and dill. Pour over cucumbers and onions then stir gently to combine.
- Add salt and ground black pepper to taste. Chill for 2 hours before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 hours