This classic comfort dish is transformed into a time-saver using ground beef, mushrooms, and egg noodles in a rich sour cream sauce, all cooked in one pot.
- 1 pound ground beef (85% lean works best)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces of full fat sour cream
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Optional: chopped fresh herbs like parsley, dill, or chives
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef over medium to medium-high heat. Season the beef with a generous pinch of salt (about 1/2 teaspoon) and a pinch of ground black pepper as it cooks. Drain the excess grease, but leave about 1 tablespoon in the pot for cooking the vegetables.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic to the beef. Season the vegetables with another small pinch of salt. Sauté until the vegetables are softened, or about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and noodles and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil, then immediately reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot with a lid, leaving the lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the noodles are cooked to your liking. Stir the mixture once or twice during cooking to prevent sticking. And be sure to keep the heat high enough to simmer, but low enough so that the pot doesn’t boil over.
- When the noodles are cooked, remove the pot from the heat. Gently stir in the sour cream to form a smooth sauce that is free of lumps.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Serve with chopped fresh herbs (optional).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes