A classic gingerbread that’s sweet, moist, and full of warm spices.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup hot water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish and set aside while you prepare the gingerbread batter.
- To a mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the butter, brown sugar, egg, and molasses until well combined.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Add the hot water and mix until well combined. It’s normal if the batter seems thin and lumpy. It’s OK to leave some lumps.
- Pour the gingerbread batter into the prepared pan. Shake the pan gently to level the batter, then tap the pan gently on the countertop to remove any bubbles.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the edges begin to shrink away from the pan, and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Watch carefully while baking and don’t overbake.
- Allow the bread to cool fully before slicing. Dust with powdered sugar or top with whipped cream.