This homemade Creamy Tomato Soup is warm and comforting. Made with staple ingredients like tomato sauce, milk, butter, and seasoning, it’s perfect for a cozy and satisfying meal.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (for gluten-free, use a gluten-free flour blend)
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of tomato sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper
- *See recipe notes for gluten-free and dairy-free options
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook while stirring for 6-7 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and lightly golden brown.
- Whisk the flour into the butter and onions. Cook while stirring for 1 minute. Be sure to smooth out any lumps of flour.
- Gradually stir milk into the flour mixture until smooth and fully combined. Add baking soda, dried thyme, brown sugar, and tomato sauce.
- Heat soup over medium-low to medium until gently simmering (you don’t need to boil). Simmer, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes, or until the soup is thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. (Taste carefully – the soup will be very hot!)
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
For a dairy-free creamy tomato soup, use oil or plant butter in place of dairy butter. You’ll also need to substitute dairy milk with the plant-based milk of your choice (almond, cashew, oat, etc.)
For a gluten-free tomato soup, use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend in place of regular all-purpose flour.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes