A homestyle soup that's loaded with fresh vegetables and ground beef and slowly simmered in a savory tomato beef broth. This makes a big batch so you'll have plenty for the freezer!
- 2 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, diced
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 green bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size (waxy potatoes like red potatoes work best)
- 6 cups tomato juice or vegetable juice (or one 46-ounce bottle)
- 12 cups beef stock
- ¼ cup ketchup (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn
- 2 cups frozen or fresh green peas
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- To a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onions, and celery. Season with 2 generous pinches of salt and ground black pepper. Cook beef and vegetables while using a spatula or wooden spoon to break apart the meat. When the meat is browned and cooked through, and onions are lightly golden, add the garlic and paprika. Cook and stir for one more minute. If there is a lot of grease in the pan, spoon off all but a few tablespoons.
- Transfer the meat and vegetable mixture to a large stockpot (a 10 or 12-quart size works well) and place stockpot on the stove. Add the bell peppers, carrots, and potatoes. Season again with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add tomato juice, beef stock, ketchup (optional), Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, and allow soup to simmer for 45 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add corn, peas, and beans. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Portion into containers and freeze.
- Prep Time: 1 hours
- Inactive Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Soups and Stews