- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (remove seeds and membranes for less heat)
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1(15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, NOT rinsed or drained (about 3 cups cooked beans)
- 2 cups chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegan)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon honey (omit for vegan)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno, and saute for 8-9 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and lightly golden.
- Stir in the garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, and allspice, and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, broth, bay leaf and honey to pot. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer. Place lid on pot, with lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, allow to cool for 5 minutes, and then puree about half of the soup using a stick blender or countertop blender. (Do this carefully if soup is still hot!)
- If using a countertop blender, return pureed soup to pot, stirring to combine. .
- Add juice squeezed from 1 lime. Season generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Inactive Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours