This Pennsylvania Dutch Pepper Slaw is made without mayonnaise, and instead, has a deliciously refreshing sweet and sour vinegar dressing and lots of bell pepper flavor.
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt (use more or less to taste)
- 1 medium head green cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 bell peppers (any color will work, but I prefer to use at least 1 green pepper)
- In a saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, sugar, water, celery seed, mustard, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Chop cabbage in half and remove the core. Using a food processor, finely chop the green cabbage, carrot and bell pepper. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop them finely by hand, or use a box grater). Place the finely grated vegetables into a large bowl, and set aside while you make the dressing.
- Combine the vegetables and the dressing. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This slaw tastes best if it is made at least a few hours ahead.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 hours