These Oven-Roasted Root Vegetables are an easy and delicious fall and winter side dish. Serve them with your favorite roasted meats and other hearty main dishes. Or serve them as a vegetarian meal with a salad and some homemade dipping sauce.
- 8 cups chopped mixed root vegetables (chopped 1-2″ in size)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme and/or rosemary (optional) *see Notes below
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. *See notes below
- Toss the vegetables with the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and any herbs, if using
- Spread the vegetables onto the lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, then pull the baking sheet out of the oven and toss the vegetables. Place back into the oven for another 20-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are browned around the edges and cooked to your liking.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving. As an optional step, you can toss the vegetables with a few pats of butter.
I’ve written this recipe to use a rimmed baking sheet for roasting the vegetables, but I have also successfully roasted them in a large cast iron skillet. If you want to use a cast iron pan, there is no need to line the pan with parchment or a silicone mat.
If you want to use herbs to season your vegetables, you can use dried or fresh. To use dried herbs, use 1-2 teaspoons. To use fresh herbs, use 1-2 tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes