- 3 pounds of potatoes, peeled, cooked, and chopped (see note below about cooking the potatoes)
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 ribs celery, finely diced (or sliced if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup bread and butter or sweet pickles, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 – 2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning (like Morton’s Nature Seasons, Lawry’s, or Old Bay)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Cook and chop the potatoes. Set them aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork or potato masher to smash 3 of the 4 hard-boiled eggs. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir to thoroughly combine the dressing.
- When the potatoes are cool, but still slightly warm, gently fold them into the dressing. Transfer the mixture to a clean serving bowl.
- Slice the remaining egg and lay the slices across the potato salad as a decorative garnish. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Chill for 2-3 hours before serving.
- Store the potato salad in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
There are two methods to cook potatoes. The first method involves peeling and dicing the potatoes, then boiling them in salted water until they are almost fork-tender. Once cooked, drain the water and cool the potatoes until they are just warm. Alternatively, you can boil the potatoes with their skins on, then wait until they are cool enough to handle before peeling and chopping them. You can choose to dice the potatoes into small or large pieces, depending on your preference, but it’s essential to ensure that they are cut into uniform sizes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes