A fruity twist on a classic pumpkin pie with the fall flavors of both apple and pumpkin and a crumbly pecan streusel topping.
For the filling
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 pie crust, prepared and waiting in a 9-inch pie pan
For the streusel topping
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together the evaporated milk and eggs until well combined. (I use a hand whisk for this, but you can use an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer.)
- Add sugar, spices, and salt. Whisk again to combine.
- Add the pumpkin puree and apple butter to the mixture. Blend until fully combined using a whisk or a mixer.
- Pour filling into a prepared pie crust. (Blind baking is optional.)
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. or until the filling is set around the edges and slightly jiggly in the center. A knife inserted into the filling should come out clean. (If the crust begins to get too brown anytime during baking, cover the edges of the pie crust with a pie shield or aluminum foil.)
- While the pie is baking, combine streusel topping ingredients in a bowl and set it aside.
- After 50-60 minutes, carefully remove the pie from the oven and crumble the streusel over the top of the pie. Place back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool on a cooling rack for 1-2 hours, and then place it in the refrigerator to chill. Serve the pie chilled, whipped cream is a bonus!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes